LRod

Default What Woodcraft COULD have done

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:44:36 GMT, TomL wrote:

I'm of the firm belief Woodcraft is fully to blame as far as the
Jorgensen clamp sale incident.

What incident? Someone didn't act quickly enough in a special
circumstance to get what they wanted? Is Woodcraft (or any other
retailer) under some requirement to stock all the inventory that
everyone could possibly want?

Many times when a retailer has a special promotion they will
tell you upfront about 'limited quantities'.

Please. Is there a woodworker on the planet who didn't see the frenzy
at the two other large retailers before Woodcraft did theirs? Is there
a woodworker on the planet who wasn't aware of the Jorgensen promotion
fully two months before Woodcraft's sale? Besides that, knowing that
quantities are limited falls in the same "Useless Information"
category described below.

The better retailers will even state the amount of inventory on hand.

And that would help the would-be buyer how? Presumably he has no idea
of how many other people are buying and in what quantity. Under the
category "Useless Information" I would have to rank that pretty high.

In addition they might disclaim the availability of rainchecks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the default value of
"rainchecks" is YES anywhere. Sure, retailers MAY issue them, but they
are not required to nor are they required to advertise that they do or
do not issue them.

Woodcraft could have done some of the above.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

They could also have backordered some or all of what they could not fulfill.

Obviously there are some woodworkers on the planet who don't
understand business, who aren't aware of Jorgensen's promotion, and
who aren't familiar with who orders what, how much, and when. The
vendors had to place their order for the specially priced Jorgies in
the Spring. The production run for that price point was limited
(apparently to several hundred thousand), thus no back orders could be
made at that price.

I can't help but think this promo was poorly planned...

Well, Jorgensen did the promo, so how can Woodcraft be blamed (if
blame is the word) for that.

...or a clever ruse to harvest email and home addresses.

Were they acting alone or was there another harvester on the grassy
knoll?

Yes, I was lucky enough to get my order in and have the shipping confirmed,

Then what's your beef?

however I don't expect I'll be doing any future business with them.

I imagine Woodcraft will be relieved they don't have to put up with a
whiny customer who successfully takes advantage of a limited time
special offer and is so ****ed off at his success that he won't be
shopping there anymore.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net