Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

I am now the proud and absolutely delighted owner of a Pioneer plasma TV.
The first thing I watched was "Amadeus", and though my expectations were
unnaturally high, the Pioneer handily exceeded them. Simply unbelievable.

The set has a two-year in-home warranty on parts and labor, which strikes me
as a bit short for such a product. (It really "should" be three years. Five
would be even nicer.)

I can get an extended warranty for $1000. Said warranty extends Pioneer's
warranty by only two years, but it is a complete replacement warranty.
Should the set have three service problems of any kind (even minor ones, and
they needn't be the same), or any unrepairable problem, the set will be
replaced outright.

Of course, in a little less than a year, there won't be any more Pioneer
plasmas to replace mine with. The installers said there had been major
problems with about 5% of the Pioneers. That's not a high number, but the 1
in 20 probability of losing such a major investment leaves me a bit
uncomfortable.

I don't feel like laying out another kilobuck. And though my experiences
with consumer electronics over the past 45 years has been overwhelmingly
positive (I've never had anything expensive break down -- other than my
brand K amplification), I don't like the idea of getting a bit more than 2
years' use out of a product and then having to toss it (either because the
parts aren't available, or I can't afford the repair).

This is what is called a dilemma ("two horns", in Greek).

Any views on the reliability of Pioneer plasma?

Thanks in advance.