Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacing Interior Door Knobs in Old House (odd size!)

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:59:55 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

Could someone help? We live in a house built in 1902 and have Rim
Locks on all of our doors. We want to replace them, since many of
them don't latch anymore. When we removed one to replace it with a

Knuckle makes a very good point. I realize I didn't read most of your
post.

standard interior door knob, we realized that our doors are too thin!
They are about an inch wide, whereas modern doors are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2
wide. Does anyone know of a place that I can find knobs that would
fit? Or what I'd use as a keyword to search online?

Why would you want to replace the knobs if the locks don't latch? The
knob is the thing that you grasp with your hand: the lock is the whole
mechanism attached to the door. Keep the knobs and replace the locks.
See:

http://www.vandykes.com/

See the ornate Victorian rim locks in brass (gorgeous) or (prosaic)
the ones in steel.

However you should find out what the problem is before you start.
Replacing the rim lock would be a very expensive non-solution if it's
just a matter of alignment of the strike plate or a similar problem. I
find it difficult to believe that all your locks need replacement at
the same time.