Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacing Interior Door Knobs in Old House (odd size!)

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:13:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Could someone help? We live in a house built in 1902 and have Rim
Locks on all of our doors. We want to replace them, since many of
them don't latch anymore. When we removed one to replace it with a
standard interior door knob, we realized that our doors are too thin!
They are about an inch wide, whereas modern doors are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2
wide. Does anyone know of a place that I can find knobs that would
fit? Or what I'd use as a keyword to search online?

I would start with doorknobs thin shipping . Shipping to find
mostly sites that sell things and don't just discuss them.

This gives 20,000 hits so it might be a good set of terms.

Then when you find non-useful meanings of thin repeating, like thin
layer, add -layer . This excluses anything that includes layer. Of
course it might exclude thin doors too.

Then look at the list again and find other words to exclude. I'm not
sure if excluding current brands like Shlage will also exclude the
sites you want.

Maybe add historic or antique. I haven't tried them.

Also keep your eyes open for houses of your period that are being torn
down.

Just over the border from NYC, first exit in Connecticut, was a scrap
yard for old house parts. You could see it from the highway. I'm sure
there are plenty more but I don't know exactly how they are listed.