Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Dirt removal

Smitty Two wrote:

I'd like to remove a couple of largish size piles of dirt from under the
house. Maybe 10 good wheelbarrow loads or more, I'm not sure. Hatch is
in the back wall and is about 12" high by 24" wide and there's a drop
down from there of about 12".

I'm thinking of either a kids' wagon, or small plastic toboggan for
transport, a long rope pull, and a plywood ramp up to ground level. So
I'd be down in the hole loading, and she'd be hauling out. Not sure
where'd she'd be dumping, because it'll have to be hauled offsite
eventually. I think I could just put another rope on my end to pull the
empty sled back to me.

Any suggested refinements to this method, or alternatives could be
helpful.

Rent a vacuum excavator trailer from United, Nations, etc. Suck the dirt
out in short order, tow it off to where you will dispose of it, use the
convenient dump feature and return. Probably can do in a half day rental
if you plan well, certainly not more than a day.