Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacing garbage disposal in kitchen sink.

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:49:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 21, 5:28*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:02:18 -0400, "Colbyt"

wrote:

Here is one more tip if this is a replacement. *Buy the same brand of
disposal and you can reuse the old mounting plate and save the buck.

Good point.

The ones I've seen all come with everything included. You don't buy
the flange seperately, unless you want a colored one to match the
sink.

The buck that he's saying is saved is the buck for the plumbers putty.

Because you can use the original plate and don't have to install a new
one, even though you are right, a new one is included.

You can take the new plate and see if it fits the old disposal, and if
it seems to, you can probably install the new disposal on the old
plate.

Do the ones that are not made by insinkerator also use a "bayonet
mount", twist and lock, like insinkerator does? Or do they use
something different? How likely is it to confuse the mounting
bracket/plates?

If the first one was made by insinkerator, I think you can buy a
replacment of any brand that is made by insinkerator. * IIRC 80% of
disposals in the US are made by insinkerator, but some have house
brands or other brands. *Sears disposals, for example, are made by
them. *