Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:41:14 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the
bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

No need to apologize. The 72 is in great shape and always has been.
Ran a 4:12 mile in his 20's with barely any training. Still carrying
fiberglass extension ladderes around and erecting them by himself and
climing them, doing work, and putting them back on his pick-up cap
when he was 69 (would still be doing it, but the need ended.) Still
lifting boxes every day. But he has admitted once before that
something recent was a little hard for him.

The 83 year old I haven't seen in action for 10 years but then he was
in good shape, jumping off a Jersey wall (36? inches tall) as if it
were a 3 inch step. He did a lot of hard work in Siberia in the 40's
and is still tough because of it. He was supposed to be third guy.

I was supposed to be the second, and said ok until I remembered that I
had abdominal surgery January 15 and the doctor limited me to 15
pounds for 6 weeks. It's 9 weeks now, but I think the 6 weeks just
meant I could lift what people normally lift on a normal day, not a
whole refrigerator.

I asked the main question because in college our fridge broke and we
found an unused one in the basement of the apartment building. I
think we needed four of us to get it up one flight of stairs, a
typical set of back stairs of a 3 story Chicago apartment, probably
six-foot wide steps. But that was without a dolly, just lying on its
side, on blankets I'm sure so it wouldn't get scratched, and being
pushed up the stairs by two on the botton and one or two pulling on a
rope at the top. I don't think there was room for a third guy on the
bottom. Even with 4 we barely got it up there.

OK, we'll get some young guys.