Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Replacing garbage disposal in kitchen sink.

On Mar 21, 4:50 pm, " wrote:
I'm reading the instructions for installing my 'disposal' and it says
to use 'Plumber's Putty'.

Since I'm not going to make a career of installing disposals, I'd
rather buy as small an amount of putty as I can, not a tub of it.

When I checked online, it appears that 'Plumber's Putty' is kind of
like 'the old' way of doing it and that silicone seal might be a more
appropriate material.

I would appreciate your opinion on what and how I would be best to do
here.

Just a guess on my part, but since the manufacturer employs a couple of
dozen engineers and has a million dollar test lab, they'd have tried
different methods. Why not ask them. Oh, they already told you? Plumber's
Putty? Because it won't leak, is easy to finish and will last over 50
years?