Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Replacing garbage disposal in kitchen sink.

wrote in message ...
On Mar 21, 4:50 pm, " wrote:
I'm reading the instructions for installing my 'disposal' and it says
to use 'Plumber's Putty'.

Since I'm not going to make a career of installing disposals, I'd
rather buy as small an amount of putty as I can, not a tub of it.

When I checked online, it appears that 'Plumber's Putty' is kind of
like 'the old' way of doing it and that silicone seal might be a more
appropriate material.

I would appreciate your opinion on what and how I would be best to do
here.

TIA

Lewis.

*****

Plumbers putty is the old way and the correct way. It's a putty,
which seats and beds and is easy to work with. Silicone sealant is
to thin, runs and is totally the wrong thing to use. I recently had
to redo a sink for a friend who had a handyman put in a new drain.
He used silicone and it was leaking. I used plumbers putty and no
leaks. I comes in small containers at any HD or hardware store for a
few bucks.

**

Yep. Putty has a much longer lifespan than silicone, and is a much
better sealant material for sinks. Silicone is subject to shrinkage
over time, and corrosion from mold and mildew. Putty isn't.