Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Replacing garbage disposal in kitchen sink.

wrote in message
I'm reading the instructions for installing my 'disposal' and it says
to use 'Plumber's Putty'.

Since I'm not going to make a career of installing disposals, I'd
rather buy as small an amount of putty as I can, not a tub of it.

When I checked online, it appears that 'Plumber's Putty' is kind of
like 'the old' way of doing it and that silicone seal might be a more
appropriate material.

Plumber's putty is what you want and should use. A small container ( 1/4
pint) will cost you a buck at the BORG.

You will have 75 cents worth left when you are done so you can fill all the
nail holes in your walls and woodwork with the rest of it.

Tightly sealed it will keep about a year and you will wonder how you ever
lived without it.

Here is one more tip if this is a replacement. Buy the same brand of
disposal and you can reuse the old mounting plate and save the buck.