Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Mains transformer goodness

On Mar 20, 9:43*am, "WW" wrote:
"Kalarama" wrote in message

I would really worry about inhaling/handling the slightest amount of PCBs.
Especially if the unit was manufactured before the '70s. * * (@_@)

Was this PCB stuff overblown about being dangerous? *I worked for
Westinghouse motor and transformer repair in the 40's. Was up to my elbows
some times in PCB oil on transformers. I am still here.

There's three issues with PCB oils. First, they're fireproof (a
safety plus).
Second, the oil can overheat and decompose, into dioxins and other
toxins/carcinogens. This, is a safety minus. I've heard of a
contaminated
animal feed episode that got LOTS of political attention. The third
one,
is kinda scary: like DDT, the compound persists and spreads in the
natural environment, so it can cause problems in future decades or
centuries if it isn't collected and neutralized. No one wants to
take the risk of causing the next species extinction and/or lawsuit
flood.