Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Cutting slot using router table

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
It /can/ be done with a not-so-powerful table-mounted router, but
as
Puckdropper first mentioned, it's easier to exercise control with a
hand-held plunge-based router with some kind of fence/guide and end
stops to ensure repeatability.

Maybe for you. From personal experience, I disagree. I can make
perfectly accurate, repeatable cuts on my router table. With the
hand held, I suck. Hardly ever use it and will go to the table every
time if I can.

I'd make the slot in multiple passes getting to about 1/2" of the
end. Once through, I'd set up a mark or stop and slowly do the two
ends.

I'm working /really/ hard to not give you what I think of as a
"Robatoy response".

Next time you travel across Iowa on I-80, stop in at my shop for a
good cup of coffee and we'll cure that problem with the hand-held
router. :-D

Then we'll cut the slot on one of the CNC machines and completely
spoil you for anything less than a (nearly silent) 5 hp spindle. ;-)

(O shucks - I did it anyway!)

Well, google maps says it's 1044 miles to you from here (07410), so maybe
I'll wait a bit before coming over. Though I would really like to see
your setup and your solar gadgets. Is there a train somewhere near?

--
Best regards
Han