Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Cutting slot using router table

sam wrote:
I know this is going to sound stupid, but my knowledge of a router is
mostly limited to putting a fancy edge on plaques.

I want to take a 30" length of 4" wide board and put a slot all the
way through the board about 4" long. the centerline of the slot will
be 3/4 of and inch from the edge of the board. Where do I put the
fence? Do I hold the board above the router and slowly lower it in
position, or do I drill my 5/16 hole first into the board and fit the
router bit into the hole, bringing my fence up to the board? Will I
get a true straight clean slot this way, with no wobble?
Thanks for any and all answers!
Paul

Well this topic has gone far beyond answering my question. I don't have
the money or the expertise to do some of the things suggested. My router
is just not strong enough to cut a 5/16 inch slot in Fir, let alone
cherry. I guess I'll have to come up with another way of tensioning the
warp on my looms. but thanks to all who posted.

Sam...

With deep cuts, it's sometimes preferable to make repeated passes - with
each pass removing a little more wood (perhaps 1/8"). It /can/ be done
with a not-so-powerful table-mounted router, but as Puckdropper first
mentioned, it's easier to exercise control with a hand-held plunge-based
router with some kind of fence/guide and end stops to ensure repeatability.

Before you change/compromise your design, think about getting a little
direct help from someone who already has the expertise and tools to do
the job easily and who'll be willing to let you watch and learn.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar