Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

Default Cutting slot using router table

"sam" wrote in message
: sam wrote:
: I know this is going to sound stupid, but my knowledge of a
router is
: mostly limited to putting a fancy edge on plaques.
:
: I want to take a 30" length of 4" wide board and put a slot all
the way
: through the board about 4" long. the centerline of the slot will
be 3/4
: of and inch from the edge of the board. Where do I put the fence?
Do I
: hold the board above the router and slowly lower it in position,
or do I
: drill my 5/16 hole first into the board and fit the router bit
into the
: hole, bringing my fence up to the board? Will I get a true
straight
: clean slot this way, with no wobble?
: Thanks for any and all answers!
: Paul
: Well this topic has gone far beyond answering my question. I don't
have
: the money or the expertise to do some of the things suggested. My
router
: is just not strong enough to cut a 5/16 inch slot in Fir, let alone
: cherry. I guess I'll have to come up with another way of tensioning
the
: warp on my looms. but thanks to all who posted.
: Paul

Why use a router table at all for this??

Attach your edge guide to the router, and set it so the edge is 3/4in
from the centerline of the collet.

Clamp stop blocks to your piece at a distance equal to half the width
of you're routers base from each end of the slot you want to make.

Install you're 5/16th bit, spiral flute is best for this type of
work, and set it so it's just above the boards surface.

Put the router on the board, with the edge guide tight against the
board, and slide it back and forth. Eyeball to verify the stop blocks
are stopping the bit at the correct point. Adjust if needed.

Assuming you don't have a plunge router:

Set the bit for a 1/8in cut, bring the edge guide against the board
with the bit slightly above the surface.

Turn the router on, lower the bit into the board and make your first
pass.

Turn router off, adjust for a slightly deeper cut, and make a second
pass.

Repeat until you have a slot.

Tedious, but not difficult. A plunge router speeds things up a bit.

Len