Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
clot clot is offline

Default de-stinking a car interior

aemeijers wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Mar 19, 10:25 pm, aemeijers wrote:
I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what
the best recommended product was. I think something died in my van,
and I need to de-stink it. I pulled the removable seats loose and
did an eyeball inspection, but found no little corpses. Not yet
desperate enough to pull the carpets and interior panels. Used up
my remaining quarter-bottle of Febreeze, too soon to tell if it
helped. As usual with these things, smell is worst after van has
been sitting closed for several hours. Smell arrived with the warm
spell a couple days ago. Will it dry up faster if I leave it parked in
sunshine with windows
up, or windows down? And what is best product to saturate the
suspect part of carpets and end of floor heater ducts with? (No
stink apparent from the dash ducts, or seating surfaces, or
underside of the seats I flipped over)

Does simple mold ever smell like decomp?

If I leave it parked outside for a month and drive the spare car,
will the problem eventually solve itself?

--
aem sends...

You likely have a dead mouse in the heating ductwork or blower. Used
to be a common problem in our shop when the sports car owners brought
their toys out of storage in the spring. Datsun 240/260Z's were the
worst, Triumph's right behind. Keep looking and good luck.

Joe

But the air coming out of the ducts doesn't stink! That is what has me
confused. I only suspected ducts because there are floor ducts that
come out under the front seats. I think more likely the damn thing
crawled down one of the various slits where the hardpoints come
through the carpet, and got wedged in.

I've not followed this from the start. Are you certain that you did not
carry something into the vehicle on your feet during the freezing period?