Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Cutting slot using router table

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Yes, super cool. I hope to have one soon. However, they only have an
8" throw so if you are doing a longer slot it will be a little less
perfect for the job. Even though they are dead accurate, unclamping
and moving the stock to continue a cut is never perfect. Probably more
than perfect enough though.

The biggest source or error in this case would be the accuracy of the
dimensioning of the stock to begin with. IOW, with the M-R, the cut will be
as accurate as using the most accurate of fences on any other type of tool
.... for you would clamp the stock to the table, and move the table, which
is, in effect, the "fence" in this type of operation.

An added benefit, that is not usually available when passing the stock over
the cutting device, instead of vice versa, is that clamping pressure to the
M-R's table can mitigate error in the flatness of the stock.

Granted, as you say, we're talking a case of "perfect enough".

Interesting side note (to some): Many of the folks who I know that are
using this unit to do furniture are often (or exclusively) using it
like a domino with floating tenons when doing M&T. Even though it does
mortise and tenon, the tenons are more setup and less consistent. I
also see that most of these folks do not pin both sides of the joint,
so in my opinion, they are not building furniture that will last
forever. A true pinned M&T has a mechanical lock in addition to the
glue and the glue will fail someday.

Yabbut, forever is a long time and the "pin" is also glued in, and, as you
say, glue will fail someday ... and, it is arguable that the wood itself
will not last "forever" in any event.

It would be interesting to see some test results bearing out your
contention. Like you, my gut feeling is that pinning would certainly add
some mechanical strength to any joint, but how much, or whether it is
necessary, is highly subjective.

IME, it is not remotely necessary to pin a properly done "floating tenon"
joint.

AAMOF, in all the test results I've seen of the relative strengths of this
type joint compared with various others, I've yet to see a test which
"pinned" the floating tenon as one of its parameters.

What is interesting in these tests is that the "rounded" floating tenons
performed slightly better than squared ones.

(Fine Woodworking, Nov 2006)

And, while I've been known to do it myself, I would certainly NOT want to
leave the impression with anyone that pinning their properly done floating
tenon joinery is necessary to it's practical longevity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08