Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default New Crib Regulation?

WW wrote:

Drop down was latched at either end with spring loaded slide latches. So
that required both latches to be pulled at same time. Child not big enough
to reach both at same time. However the boy found that if he pulled one
latch and shove it a bit then pushed other latch the side would open. Guess
what . He is now a mechanical engineer. His 2 children also used same crib.

Isn't that always the way? I remember putting a lock on the under-sink
doors in my kitchen when my first born was just old enough to walk. When
I finished up, she toddled over and unlocked and locked it a couple times,
just like she saw me do when I tested it a minute before . . . sigh.

As for drop side cribs, I helped that same daughter's husband assemble
one a few weeks ago. A family hand down. Same basic design that's
been around at least 50 or 60 years because I slept in one like it.
New ones are different, apparently.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.