Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting slot using router table

Yes, super cool. I hope to have one soon. However, they only have an
8" throw so if you are doing a longer slot it will be a little less
perfect for the job. Even though they are dead accurate, unclamping
and moving the stock to continue a cut is never perfect. Probably more
than perfect enough though.

Interesting side note (to some): Many of the folks who I know that are
using this unit to do furniture are often (or exclusively) using it
like a domino with floating tenons when doing M&T. Even though it does
mortise and tenon, the tenons are more setup and less consistent. I
also see that most of these folks do not pin both sides of the joint,
so in my opinion, they are not building furniture that will last
forever. A true pinned M&T has a mechanical lock in addition to the
glue and the glue will fail someday.

On Mar 20, 5:58*am, Mike wrote:
On Mar 19, 7:20*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"sam" wrote:
I want to take a 30" length of 4" wide board and put a slot all the
way through the board about 4" long. the centerline of the slot will
be *3/4 of and inch from the edge of the board. Where do I put the
fence? Do I hold the board above the router and slowly lower it in
position, or do I drill my 5/16 hole first into the board and fit
the router bit into the hole, bringing my fence up to the board?
Will I get a true straight clean slot this way, with no wobble?

What you want to do is the functional equivalent of cutting a mortise
using a router and a straight bit.

IMHO, it is not possible to safely accomplish this operation using a
fixed base router, router table with a fence.

You need a plunge router and jigs that duplicate the functional
equivalent of cutting a mortise.

Do a Google for "mortise jig" to get and idea of an approach to
solving your problem safely.

Lew

Better yet, look up "Multi-router" ala David Marks. Not only is this
setup safe, accurate and easy - it's about the coolest router
accessory I've ever seen. Might be a bit expensive, but it sure would
be nice to have in the shop!- Hide quoted text -