Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Building vacuum press for veneering

dale martin wrote:
I've been looking around the archives here and have found some
information and a couple of great websites about building a vacuum
press for veneering. What I plan on doing is mostly smaller sized
panels, maybe 10" X 14" or so. I know I could go old school and use
cauls, etc., but I'm interested in piecing together some kind of
vacuum system, on the cheap if possible. My questions are as follows.
Harbor Freight sells vacuum pumps, not the venturi type, but actually
vacuum pumps for use in refrigeration and a/c systems. What I'm
looking at is the 2.5 CFM model (98076-4VGA ) that sells for about
$75. If I use this with a purchased vacuum bag, what more is there to
it than to hook up the appropriately sized hoses and switch it on? Do
I need an extra reservoir or additional electric parts? Will this
sized pump have enough power to adequately pull the veneer to the
substrate? Will the pump be running constantly or once it reaches
maximum pressure shut off and only cycle on when vacuum is lost due to
leakage? Any insight as to if this is a viable plan would be
appreciated. TIA.

Bill Nobel, who frequents the wood turner's news group "rec
crafts.woodturning", often has rebuilt Gast vacuum pumps that he sells
at very reasonable prices. You might want to check his site to see
what's currently available or put you name on his waiting list and he'll
notify you when something becomes available. The site is:

http://www.wbnoble.com/forsale/vac-pumps/gast.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA