Posted to rec.woodworking
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default New Crib Regulation?

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
There was a discussion here lately concerning the liability isues with
high chairs, cribs, etc. I saw this today and thought I would pass it on.
If anybody here wants to make a crib, it may be a good idea to NOT have a
drop down side.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/...a/Crib-Ban.php

I built our crib in 1968 for first born. At that time cribs had wide space
between up rights that allowed small babies to slide through but catch their
head and strangle them. I built our crib with narrow spacing. Made a half
side drop down for ease of use. All oak and mortise and tenion joints.
Drop down was latched at either end with spring loaded slide latches. So
that required both latches to be pulled at same time. Child not big enough
to reach both at same time. However the boy found that if he pulled one
latch and shove it a bit then pushed other latch the side would open. Guess
what . He is now a mechanical engineer. His 2 children also used same crib.
Warren