Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default de Laval turbine

"Michael Gray" wrote in message
news:AsQwl.17741$Db2.1307@edtnps83...
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:22:23 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Has anyone ever built a model of a de Laval turbine? I mean one with a
real de Laval nozzle, that put out some power.

Or do you know of a good text about them? Most are either too simple or
they're too abstract on the engineering theory side.

Ed, I've uploaded a bunch of pages relative to turbines, 3 of which pages
contain references to Model Engineer articles on building model turbines;
they're at:
http://www.box.net/shared/7fe502646h

In ME No. 4320, 29 Feb.13 Mar 2008, is the second part of an article on a
gauge 1 turbine loco pp.274-277. with some information on cutting the
turbine blades.

HTH,
Mike in BC

Hey, thanks, Mike. They look great.

Far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth, but for future
reference, you might consider using the compressed TIFF format, rather than
JPEG, when you want to reproduce a printed page. Because of the way the JPEG
compression works, it makes the edges of letters (and any sharp edges)
fuzzy, the fuzziness depending on how much you're compressing. TIFF doesn't
do that, and you can save the space involved in reproducing color, if those
settings are available to you. For an all-type page, or one with type and
line drawings, you can use 2-bit compressed TIFF and usually you'll get a
file that's both smaller than the equivalent JPEG, and much easier to read.
It also prints much better.

However, in this case, I can read those pages perfectly well. I'm going to
take a close look this weekend.

Thanks again.

--
Ed Huntress