Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd Mortimer Schnerd is offline

Default Changing Mower Blades

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Too late. Sounds like he used heat, and a breaker bar. I
like a dab of grease on the threads before I reassemble.
Makes dissembly easier, next time.

I didn't need a breaker bar or a cheat. I moved up from a 3/8" ratchet
to a 1/2" drive, heated the bolts for a bit with a LP torch and just put
some oomph on them.

I polished the threads with a scotchbrite pad and put some machine oil
on the threads before I put them back in.

I don't believe I fried anything. The bolts screw into a substantial
block of metal. That metal block would act as a heat shield before the
heat would travel up the shaft to the bearings. When I say I heated
them, I don't mean to say they were red hot. I was able to handle them
bare handed after removing them from the block.

No screeching metal so far....

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com