Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing Mower Blades

Thanks for telling us what works. Now, the rest of us will
know. With the economy being such a mess, I'm doing
everything I can by myself. At least until my 14 million
dollar bail out comes through.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mortimer Schnerd" wrote in
message

I thank everybody who did me the courtesy of replying. I
resolved the
problem today: First I tried running the mower up the car
ramps and
then using the torch on them. No joy. I just couldn't put
enough ass
on them to make any of them budge. So I moved on to plan B.

I laid a old blanket down in the driveway and then drove the
lawn
tractor up just one ramp (under the left front wheel. Then
I got off
and carefully lowered the tractor over onto its right side
on the
blanket. Some gas started dripping from its cap but it was
relatively
minor so I chose to ignore it. The main thing was that I
now had FULL
access to the blades.

I heated them up for longer than I had tried before and then
put a 6
point 1/2" drive socket wrench on them. I blocked the blade
with a wood
clamp. I was then able to apply enough pressure to remove
the bolts.

I then took the blades one at a time and reground the edges
on my Tormek
water cooled grinder.

Previously I have only changed the oil on the tractor
myself. I have
paid for the professional servicing of the machine twice and
those bolts
apparently welded themselves in during or after last
spring's servicing.
I just can't see paying for stuff like blades if I can do
it myself...
just like changing the oil.

As for the suggestion to remove the mower deck: why? It
didn't require
that and looking at the manual made the procedure look more
complicated
than I wanted to try. Rolling it onto its side was much
easier.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com