Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Arm Braces on Hollowing Tool Handles (long non-answer)

In message , charlieb
writes

Given the math and physics vs the anecdotal evidence -
I choose to err on the side of caution - and the math and
physics - be it when driving - or turning. Captured Systems
readily available, and at least for me, affordable make the
potential
risks of a hand held, arm braced hollowing tool unnecessary.

Never trust statistics, Never trust fact
Statistically speaking the odds can be 100 Million to 1
Facts may show no evidence

But unless it can be guaranteed something can never happen, then it can,
so does anyone want to be the first ?

Their are many areas of life where their are risks, we try to control /
limit them as best we can, but their are no guarantees, and the risk may
be catastrophic.

I had a mitre saw that failed in use, and it was a design fault. The
only reason I know was I had a second identical machine, and it also
failed, but safely, and leaving the evidence. When the first machine
failed, not only the blade guard was destroyed, several Tungsten Carbide
teeth also and a large chunk of aluminium casting. What was the cause,
quite simple no screw lock, or spring washer, on a plate attached to the
guard. Vibration caused the screw to come loose fall into the guard as
it had just reached maximum speed..... and the rest was history. When
the second one failed I had the blade tilted and the screw fell on the
floor, the design has since been modified

For me I prefer the idea of not being attached

For those getting into hollowing who haven't seen this before
here's a compendium of captured hollowing systems available
- and I bet more are out there now.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...s/HollowingSys
tems1.html

I remember when I saw them before... I now wonder if anyone has tried 2
cutters, in parallel (like callipers) in such a way as to set a
thickness and do both inside and outside at the same time.

I do hope later this year to start building my own design hollowing
system, though I suspect it will include a combination of feature from
many of the designs seen already
--
John