Posted to rec.woodworking
sam[_8_] sam[_8_] is offline

Default Cutting slot using router table

sam wrote:
I know this is going to sound stupid, but my knowledge of a router is
mostly limited to putting a fancy edge on plaques.

I want to take a 30" length of 4" wide board and put a slot all the way
through the board about 4" long. the centerline of the slot will be 3/4
of and inch from the edge of the board. Where do I put the fence? Do I
hold the board above the router and slowly lower it in position, or do I
drill my 5/16 hole first into the board and fit the router bit into the
hole, bringing my fence up to the board? Will I get a true straight
clean slot this way, with no wobble?
Thanks for any and all answers!
Paul

Thanks for all the answers! I'm a little leary of lowering the board
onto the table with a spinning router. I have ten fingers and I want to
keep them! I think I will just drill the hole and experiment with scrap
wood. My problem is I want it to look like it came from a professional shop.
Thanks,
Paul