Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Stub Tenon for cabinet door?

wrote in message
I'm making a wall type cabinet and and am ready to make the door. Any
experience with the durability of using a
stub tenon for the frame and panel door? The panel is veneer over a
substrate, so it could be glued to the rails and stiles for increased
rigidity. Or am I just asking for trouble down the line?

I also have a few kitchens/doors under my belt, and this is the way I've
approached it for a number of years:

With a door made using mortise & tenon/floating tenon joints, I do not feel
it necessary to glue a panel of any kind in, and use string for spacers. A
stub-tenon-to-groove glue joint is a relatively weak joint, and, depending
upon the door size, I have no problem gluing in a plywood panel if I feel
the door needs it.

So far, so good .. YMMV.

Hell, split the difference and glue just the middle third on all four sides
if you think the relative weakness of the joint will benefit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08