Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default 8 inch I-beam - how much will it hold?

"Elliot G" wrote in message
m...

. 3.70...
"Elliot G" fired this volley in
m:

I can affirm by experience that a 6" standard I-beam, 16' between
concrete walls, will support a 1300 pound welding machine in the
center.

Extrapolate from this, if you can (I can't G). I know from having
built a press around one, that 8" x 8" beam with 3/8" web and 3/8"
flanges will take 27,000lb at the center of a 16" span, without any
_visible_ deflection. And that's on the flat (web vertical), rather
than with the bending moment on the flanges.

LLoyd

Me neither, I was just trying to offer a near comparison. A beam one size
smaller, 20% longer, and a known load.

But my WAG would be that his beam will FAIL at 7100, mine at 3300, and
yours at 210,000.

All I know is a 12" 20' I beam dropped 8 stories will cut a car in 1/2. My
dad in the 1950's was dismantling a build near the Port of Oakland and some
lady parked her new Buick right by the no parking construction zone sign.
My dad did not stop working as he was the owner of the company and was not
going to eat the cost for her stupidity. And the cable broke. Dad said was
funny as the police were there when the lady came back yelling screaming and
saying she was going to sue them. Cop asked lady to sign this paper. When
she asked what is was, he informed her it was a parking ticket. For parking
in a no parking zone. Dad did not have to pay for the car.