Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default SKF bearing information

On 2009-03-19, Mike wrote:
On 18 Mar 2009 01:12:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-03-17, Stuart Fields wrote:

[ ... ]

David: I tried both links and still can't find the fillet radius call outs.
There are no arrows indicating the radius on the inner or outer races that
have to interface with the shaft or housing. I get some funny numbers
expressed as numbers like: 1,6 I have never experienced this numbering
system before.

In various parts of Europe and the UK, it is common to use a
comma where we would use a period -- as the radix point (decimal point),
and periods (if present) as grouping characters, so what we would write
as "1,000,000.01", they would write as "1.000.000,01", so your "1,6"
would be most likely 1.6 mm

In the UK in common usage we have *never* used the comma for the
decimal point, nor have we ever used the decimal point as a thousand
separator - in all respects out number formatting is the same as that
used in the US - except that recently and *only* in the Engineering
field we have moved to ISO formatting for numbers on drawings. (see
below)

O.K. But I have seen it in an astronomical work from the UK
back around 1965 or so.

Historically mainland Europeans have routinely used commas and decimal
points everywhere to the point of utter confusion, if you play around
with the country settings in windows you get a basic idea of this
mess!

No Windows here, so I can't do that. :-)

The ISO standard for engineering drawings uses grouping to remove any
ambiguity so ...

1,000,000.01 in your example above would be written as 1 000 000,01

Hmm ... to *me* that would increase the chance for ambiguity, if
it followed another number without a decimal fraction part.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564