Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default 8 inch I-beam - how much will it hold?

Wes wrote:
_ wrote:

One of the projects involves both re-doing the garage and lifting a ford
4-cyl motor out of a car. There's a fellow selling an I-beam locally, 13
feet long, 8 inches deep, 4 inches wide (no web thickness specified). This
would span the garage nicely - could I rely on it to not bend if I hook up
a hoist to the centre and lift that motor? Supported on the ends only...

I could be wrong but are rule of thumb in my head is a beam should only deflect 1" over
360" of lenght.

Made up beams must be constrained so they don't twist.

Stay inside that, life is good if I didn't blow it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

My shop / hangar was made with 4" square pipe posts and 10" purlin
thirty feet long - unsupported. But I never hung much weight from them.