Posted to alt.home.repair
coloradotrout coloradotrout is offline

Default termites

On Mar 18, 1:30*pm, Frank wrote:
coloradotrout wrote:
Should I proactively try to prevent termites, and if so, how?

I live in NE Kansas - partially wooded area with about 35" of rain a
year.

The house was built in 2000. *Original owner has a pest company come
out and spray, set bait traps, etc. *I'm inclinded to do as much as I
can myself. * I'll spray a perimiter pest spray to keep down spiders,
etc. * But what about termites? *Is this a serious threat -- one worth
hiring the pros to prevent?

I do it myself. *Spray around foundations and keep clear of debris. *Few
years ago they hit my neighbor and treatment killed area colony(s).
Termites are fairly easy to spot by tunnels, swarming or infested wood.
The neighbor had done nothing, had an infested wood pile on dirt next to
house and did not notice problem until they swarmed in his basement.
I had spotted termites in the area as stumps close to house were
infested. *My spraying and baiting kept them away.

Is there any particular "debris" that is worse than others? We have
shrubs around the house - next to it - touching the house in places.
I'm all for pruning them back as far as I need to - even riping some
out. They are "mulched" with fabric and gravel, which I presume is
good vs wood mulch. We have 20-30 good sized cedar trees about 50'
feet away and in and around them of course is some fallen timber,etc.
Otherwise the area around the house - other than the smaller shrubs -
is clear.