Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default ice shield or metal flashing in valleys

On Mar 18, 10:45*am, wrote:
I'm getting a new roof put on the house. The first contractor came
back with a quote yesterday, and the only thing that has me concerned
is the method they're proposing to use to seal up the valleys.

Is ice shield a good material for this purpose? I have only ever seen
aluminum flashing used, but that was many years ago.

Basically I want to use this guy. He's impressed the heck out of me
with his professionalism and attention to detail and service just
getting me the quote. He also doesn't take any payment up front, only
after the job is complete and I'm satisfied.

Metal valley flashing is used in open valleys. The Ice & Water Shield
membrane can be used as valley flashing under woven or half-woven
valleys. It can also be used under the metal valley flashing as a
back up. The membrane cannot be used as the only valley flashing in
an open valley - the membrane won't hold up to the UV.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Roofing-1...oof-valley.htm
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/l...ing/valley.htm

These two are pretty lame diagrams, but they show the two main valley
types.
http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/details/asph-6.pdf
http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/details/asph-7.pdf