Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Step construction for handicapped?

This would have been for an octagenarian family member in her own
home, but reading everyone's input I am seeing that it is not a very
practical alternative to a ramp which to me is not very attractive.
The issue of the railings would be important. She uses porch supports
now to stabilize herself as she steps on to the porch now, so the
railings would be essential. Also the observation that shorter rises
can be more troublesome for some reminded me that I have found steps
with short rise awkward myself and I am considerably less than octa-,
though maybe not in as good shape as our mother who exercises
regularly

There is nothing wrong with properly designed low angle stairs. But your
suggestion of 2 1/2" or 3" rise with a 10" run is completely
unacceptable and would be very awkward.. The ratio of rise to run must
be designed such that a typical stride is taken into account. There are
several formulas to calculate rise and run. Unfortunately, they diverge
when such a shallow angle is used.

Lets use 2 1/2" since that gives you four equal height steps. One
formula is that the sum of the rise and run shall equal 17" to 18". So
that gives you a run of about 15".

Another formula is two times the rise plus one run should equal 25.5" So
that formula gives a run of about 20".

You might try mocking up a few steps using runs of 15" to 20" and see
how they work.

--
Dennis