Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bathroom Exhaust Fan - Soffit Clearance from Window

On Mar 17, 4:29*pm, Marissa Taylor wrote:
I recently had a ceiling bathroom exhaust fan installed and it is time
to install the vent duct. *I don't want it to exhaust into the attic so
would prefer to have it exit the house via under the soffit. *(Cutting
through the roof is a no-go and there is no other surface available.)

Why? It's done all the time very successfully. Would it be visible
from the street?

I plan to run the duct right to the soffit inside the same joists that
the fan is in. *This would place the soffit vent outside the bathroom
window. *There really isn't any clearance to put it anywhere else.

Are there any restrictions/codes that would prevent a soffit vent from
being installed outside the bathroom window?

snip

What did city hall say when you asked them? They have the code books
right at their desk.

Also what is a good product to use for the soffit vent? *I want
something white, mostly flush, and with a back draft flap although my
Panasonic fan also includes another snap.

There are many choices in vinyl and aluminum. Lumber yards, box stores
come to mind. Look for possibolities in the dryer vent section. IIRC,
the sizes are both 4".

Joe