Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Recasting a broken small nylon gear

Jim Yanik wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

3. Glue the pieces back together with epoxy.

does epoxy bond to nylon??? I'd not bet on it.

I certainly discovered that under the right conditions, the epoxy-nylon
bond is very good, however I suspect that the bond I observed is
just the molten nylon conforming to the irregularities of the epoxy
mold in a very complete fashion. However I don't expect to be able to
simply 'epoxy' broken nylon parts together, but perhaps there may be a
way to liquefy the (set and cured) epoxy-nylon joint with a hot air
pencil to create a permanent bond (I will need to try this next time).
Thinking a bit more, perhaps hot air welding of a cyanoacrylate-bonded
nylon repair would work also.

I don't know how I would do this on the tiny gear that is the subject
of this thread however without distorting it beyond usefulness, without
using a mold, at which point I am back to my original approach of recasting
it.

Michael

Michael