Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Arm Braces on Hollowing Tool Handles (long non-answer)

I've bought (and made) an arm brace because several turners whom I
respect use one. John Jordan who used to check in here used one, sells
one and I presume teaches its use. I don't use mine, mostly because I
don't need it for what I turn, but I've wondered about its safety.

What does an arm brace do for me? I assume it helps prevent lateral
motion of the tool's longer lever by "locking" to my right forearm and
therefore to my arm and shoulder girdle. If the brace's walls are
shallow so that my arm safely slips out when a strong lateral force
suddenly occurs then what's the use of the brace?
Do I need it for weak forces?

I don't know if vertical downward motion is impeded by an armbrace, but
upward impedance seems unlikely. Seems that the more efficient the
armbrace, the greater the risk of injury. Maybe it's just another of
dozens of trade offs between usefulness and injury. The risks we incur
and accept every time we turn wood.

This is all armchair thinking by a non-user and I may have it wrong.
Lets hear from some users since the armbrace has been used without
injury by many competent turners for a long time. The old rational vs
empirical reasoning thing we learned about in school and promptly
forgot.

Charlie notes the only accidental injury by a good turner that I know of
and he (not Charlie) admitted to inattention. If I don't pay attention
while turning with or without bracing my arm, I'm likely to get hurt.
What are the risks of an armbrace used properly? I sure don't know.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter