Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Stub Tenon for cabinet door?

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

While I don't have as many years doing this as you guys, my understanding
is that with a simple rail and stile door with a *single panel*, it's the
stability of the panel (or lack thereof) that dictates whether or not it
must float. If the panel is made from stable material with no chance of
expansion, there is no reason why it can't be glued in place. The overall
width or height of the door as a whole may change slightly due to
expansion or contraction in the *width of the rails or stiles*, but wood
does not expand or contract (significantly) along its length so there
should be no measurable change in the 1/4" or so of area of contact around
the perimeter of the panel. If the panel is unstable, it may change in
width relative to the length of the rail (assuming the panel is vertically
oriented), and that's a problem.

However, if you have a large *multi-panel* door (or something similar),
then gluing stable panels in place would be a problem. Multiple rows of
rails and stiles all moving at different rates across their width would
cause all manner of stress throughout the workpiece.

Correct. I just wanted to have some insight as to what Robatoy has been
finding wrong with gluing a stable panel in place. Of the many bathroom and
kitchen remodels I have done if used the stub tennon method on several jobs.
The center plywood bead board panel is always painted and that paint
effectively glues the panel in place. A bathroom in my home is done this
way and 6 years later shows no signs of problems as well as a kitchen and
laundry room I did for a friend/customer in the same way some 10+ years ago.
I have heard no complaints from 3 other customers with the same painted
panels.
I feel however that gluing a panel in place may be more problematic if the
door is hit or if something heavy drops on it. Typically the glue joint is
stronger than the wood and the joint is not going to fail before the wood
does. Gluing the panel in will add strength to the door in this situation
however if something or some one fell on the door, the door may very well
tear the face frame off of the cabinet providing the hinges don't fail. I
personally would rather the door come apart than parts of the cabinet.