Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Arm Braces on Hollowing Tool Handles

charlieb wrote:
I personally want to attach myself to my turning tools - with just my
hands.
The idea of attaching the tool TO ME seems "undesirable" (see, I toned
it
down from "totally insane!!!!!!"). If something goes wrong - I'd prefer
to have
myself and the tool part ways - by MY choice/natural reaction to leg go
and
run away, perhaps even screaming "like a girl" - rather than me being
CONNECTED
TO IT - knowing "it" doesn't care one way or the other what the
consequences
are to "it" or ME!

And I know someone will say "an arm braced tool is perfectly safe" - and
may
or may not add the caveat "IF you use it close to perfectly and maintain
total
focus and concentration on using it - properly." But any set up that
transfers
uncontrolled forces from just my hands, to the bones, muscles, tendons
and
ligaments in my upper arm - and shoulder - is - to my mind - "not good".

What say you?

I felt the same way about parting off a spindle at several hundred
rpm. After the first one just dropped down on the ways it seemed less
scary.

I use a side handle on my hollowing tool and it feels perfectly
natural and have never had any scary episodes. A lot of catches, but
none scary. I feel that an arm brace would be fine, but too expensive
for me.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA