Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Stub Tenon for cabinet door?

I'm making a wall type cabinet and and am ready to make the door. Any
experience with the durability of using a
stub tenon for the frame and panel door? The panel is veneer over a
substrate, so it could be glued to the rails and stiles for increased
rigidity. Or am I just asking for trouble down the line?

If the panel is engineered (plywood/mdf/etc.) rather than solid wood
then gluing the panel should be fine and will provide substantial
additional strength.

Chris

I never thought of this. I'm going to be making some shaker doors with
plywood or mdf.
You *can* glue the panels when they're not solid, can't you?
You get a concept in your head and it sticks even when you don't need it.

Any reason to leave them floating, guys?
Other than to retain that nice rattle sound when the door shuts. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--