Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Stub Tenon for cabinet door?

On Mar 17, 2:52 pm, "Leon" wrote:
They are quick and easy to build. If you have never built them I recommend
cutting the grove for the panels first. Cut the rails the finished length
plus double the length equal to the depth of the groove depth. Run the
rails and styles through the TS making 2 passes flipping the board end for
end after each pass so that the groove ends up dead center to establish the
width to fit the panel.

Then with the TS and dado blades or a router table and a large straight cut
bit form the tennons on the rails to just a hair short of the depth of the
grooves.

Think of it as a cope and stick joint except there's no profile on
it.

Whiteside makes a Tongue & Groove assembly bit that turns this into
exactly what you would do with a raised panel door. It's just two
9/32 slot cutters with a 9/32 gap between them. You can cut both the
tenons and groove with it, but I just use it for the tenons. I use
the dado set in the TS to do the grooves, I have the correct shims to
get the proper fit marked. I have a setup block for the bit height at
the router table and the fence position recorded for the TS as well.
Tenons are done in one pass, same with the grooves. Fast and easy.

-Kevin