Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default power conversion

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Those and bullet horn tweeters covered about 800Hz upwards very very
well. superb low distortion a but the frequency response had a few
little peaks in it.

As do all horns. That's why they're useless for true Hi-Fi.

Well, its a tradeoff. Between sensitivity and flat response. And wide
bandwith..

Remember we were only spanning IIRC about two octaves with each unit.

Tweeters came in around 4k, mid horns 1k-4k, lower mid 250hz-1k Bass
units 50-250hz More or less.

I don't think I have ever hard better high power clarity than from those
horns. Quad ESL'S. yes, but at abysmal power output.

You have to pay real money though. The knock off plastic copies are rubbish.

And decide whether its low intermidulation you want, or a razor flat
frequency response. Since any room you put stuff in and any hall you
recrd in buggers up the frequency response I don't count it as a huge
problem. But rooms don't distort ..loudspeakers do. It jut makes the
recording dull.

OK if there is a major and high peak or notch, you can hear it, but not
a minor rippling across the band.

Iv always liked top quality horns, but I have never hard them much
outsid what we were doing..not in the hifi stores anyway.