Posted to alt.home.repair
Elam Elam is offline

Default My Crumbling Porch

On Mar 16, 4:41*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Elam" wrote

No, what looks like grill work below? Definition of the picture isnt
enough
to tell what it is really. 3 post looking things at the bottom back.

Oh, those are cinder blocks. *in fact, the whole base where the porch
meets the ground is cinder blocks, it just looks continuous in one

Ok, hard to to tell from the picture.

I called the city inspector, and in Dearborn, the porch foundation
extends to 42 inches below the ground, I'm assuming it's 42 inches of
cinder blocks, in varying condition. *Also, I could demo the porch and
find out the concrete foundation at the bottom is in poor condition
too and have to rebuild that. *But the porch is in such bad shape that
all this is going to have to be done anyway(well, maybe not the
foundation, we'll see)

I understand. *The depth is due to the frost level depth of the ground where
you are.

I can envision several solutions, some better looking than others. *Some
longer lasting. *Here's my best shot.

I take it having it professionally done really 'pretty' is not a financial
option so you need something you can reasonably do yourself at least for
now, with not too much time to spend on it? *Later you can have it spiffied
up?

1) Best, take out the whole thing to the ground level then build a box of
wood and cement fill it even and smooth about 6 inches up. *Put the current
top slab on this after it's dry. *Get either cement steps to place on top of
this, or a metal step to reach the rest of the way.

2) Take it down as above and pour a slab, then build a wood deck above it..
This takes a bit more time but will look nicer. *You can solid base most of
it from the looks of the height you need, with PT 'road ties' then put flat
wood panels on top.

3) Least likely to work, but may. *Use several bits of wood and such as well
as some car jacks to hold the slab in place, and replace the existing
cinderblocks. *This will not be easy and very likely you will crack the top
block. *If it can lift off like it looks it might, get some buddies (a 6
pack will do for this in my area for a bribe) to move it to the side. *Take
down what has to come down and rebuild. *Pay close attention to the center
core area as that's apt to be what was empty to start with (or not properly
filled) that made it go bad over time.

#3 is cheapest but least likely to work. *It's advantage is if it doesnt,
you can skip to #2 or #1.

#2 is next cheapest and wont take long if you have the right tools to cut
the wood or can borrow them from a buddy.

#1 will work but may cost more due to purchase of steps, but it's also the
fastest one if you have time constraints.

Well, I was able to peer back into the hole between the slab and the
cinder block: http://param.us/porch/porch3.jpg. It turns out the
porch is two cinder blocks deep. One below ground level, one at
ground level, about 4 inches of Quick Crete, and then the slab. The
interior of the porch is simply filled with dirt. It's quite ghetto.
This house was built in 1951 and the porch was probably rebuilt at
least once, but this is the kicker: If I demo it and rebuild, I have
to build it to 2009 code, which means I have to dig 42 x 87 x 48 cubic
inches of dirt, pour foundation slabs for the cinder blocks, build the
wall, fill the interior, then pour the slab. That's way beyond my
expertise and my budget.

#1 isn't really an option as the risk it entails with the city and
their friggin ordinances. If they caught me, I'd have to rebuild it
to 2009 code, and that would cost thousands of dollars. Not sure
about #2. I don't know if I have to lay a slab if I build a wooden
porch. I should call and find out.

Do you really think #3 will damage the slab? Let's say I remove 2 to
3 blocks at a time, repair those, and repeat? When you say it's not
easy, do you mean the effort of placing/removing the cinder blocks?
Or making it look decent? I tend to underestimate, but this doesn't
seem like it would be difficult. Tedious, maybe.

Another picture, just cuz: http://param.us/porch/porch4.jpg

Thanks for your feedback.