Posted to alt.home.repair
Elam Elam is offline

Default My Crumbling Porch

On Mar 16, 1:12*pm, wrote:
On Mar 16, 12:41*pm, Elam wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:56*am, wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:18*am, Elam wrote:

Hi all,

I have a crumbing porch. First, a couple of pictures:

http://param.us/porch/porch1.jpghttp...rch/porch2.jpg

Now, I have zero experience with concrete, hence the question marks..
I'm assuming that I need to chisel/remove the damaged cinder blocks
( pretty much all of them ), one at a time, fit a new one in, and slap
mortar in between the top slab and the porch cap. Or, instead of
mortaring the gap, find a suitable replacement cinder block. *Is this
correct? If so, is there a preferred method? ie do I start from
foundation base and work my way around counter/clockwise?

And should what about stability? The mortar is pretty deteriorated
around the entire porch. Is there a way to support the porch(stakes
etc) while I complete repairs?

Any advice is much appreciated.

- Elam

I'd call that a front step, not a porch. *It's impossible to evaluate
the whole thing from the couple of pics. * But from what I see, it
looks so deteriorated that from a practical standpoint you are
probably going to be better off demolishing what is there and starting
over. * You need to find out if there are adequate footers to support
it. *If so, you can get rid of eveything above that and rebuild. *If
not, start with proper footers

You may want to consider putting in slate, stone, or maybe stamped
concrete for the top surface to give it a nicer look.

Hi. *Thanks for replying.

The front step is actually pulled away, revealing the decay.

The base foundation looks good(from what I can see), no crumbling and
the slab cap is in fine condition. *It's really only the individual
cinder blocks. *T. *I've had a couple of contractors out to look at it
and they've both said its simply a matter of replacing the
cinderblocks. *I can't really afford to demolish the whole thing right
now, anyway.

The question is, how many blocks? * If it's most of them all the way
around, it would seem to me it's less work to demo the whole thing and
start over. * The top slab is of no great value or complexity, it's
just a simple small concrete pour. * Plus, if you do it right it will
last a very long time. *If you fix/replace say 1/3 of the blocks,
which isn't trivial, you still have what's left and that may not be in
that great shape or last much longer either.

I am planning on putting a slate veneer on it when it's done, although
with Michigan winters, it may not last too long.- Hide quoted text -

One reason i don't want to do the whole thing from scratch is the city
ordinance process, which is a pain. But on further inspection today
at lunch, your probably right.

One thing i don't understand is how the porch cap is poured on top of
the cinder blocks? Is that something I can do, or should I use a
professional?

Thanks,
- Elam