Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default My Crumbling Porch

On Mar 16, 10:18*am, Elam wrote:
Hi all,

I have a crumbing porch. First, a couple of pictures:

http://param.us/porch/porch1.jpghttp...rch/porch2.jpg

Now, I have zero experience with concrete, hence the question marks.
I'm assuming that I need to chisel/remove the damaged cinder blocks
( pretty much all of them ), one at a time, fit a new one in, and slap
mortar in between the top slab and the porch cap. Or, instead of
mortaring the gap, find a suitable replacement cinder block. *Is this
correct? If so, is there a preferred method? ie do I start from
foundation base and work my way around counter/clockwise?

And should what about stability? The mortar is pretty deteriorated
around the entire porch. Is there a way to support the porch(stakes
etc) while I complete repairs?

Any advice is much appreciated.

- Elam

Is that a mini porch with no steps, if so it seems useless. Slate gets
very slippery when old and wet and bonding morter to old concrete
requires alot of work. Didnt you ever see road machines gouge the old
road. If its not prepped right you will have a bigger mess in a few
years.