Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Reinsulate attic?

On Mar 16, 10:27*am, wrote:
Bought a small brick Colonial last June.

Attic has blown-in fiberglass between the joists on the floor. *The
joists are covered with plywood.

I want to keep using the attic for storage, but I also want to
insulate it better. *Also, the fiberglass fill seems to generate lots
of unpleasant dust.

My questions:

(1) Would fiberglass batts generate less of that dust? *Right now when
I go up there, I feel like I have to wear a cheap respirator, and over
time the dust gets on the stuff we put up there, which is annoying.
(If it were just general dust, I wouldn't care, but I get worried that
it's fiberglass dust.)

(2) Insulation-wise, the space under the "floor" (height of joists) is
a little less than 6". *Reading about insulation on-line, seems like
that's not a lot of insulation---so it might not even be worth
insulating better. *(Apart from the dust issue.) *If we add more,
though, we'd either have to get rid of the floor boards and have no
storage space, or, as a friend suggested, increase the height by
nailing some wood on top of the joists, then putting the floor boards
on top of that. *Is that a good idea?

TIA,

Ususaly old rock wool or cellulose is dusty. You have about R 20 now,
where I live Zone 5, R 35 is minimum and R 60 optimal. www.energystar.gov
might help you. Unfaced batts under a raised area should work.