Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Power saw history

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:56:07 -0500, Don Stauffer
wrote:

I had been told when visiting an old lumber camp tourist attraction that
the circular saw was a mid-nineteenth century invention.

I have been trying to determine what an early Nineteenth Century steam
saw would look like. In doing a google search, I find a lot of
references to circular saws even in Seventeenth and Eighteenth century,
including ganged circular saws in Eighteenth Century.

Anyone know when the circular saw was invented, and did a reciprocating
power saw precede it? I realize the first power saws were water powered
rather than steam, so I guess power saws could go back quite aways.

Doesn't really answer your question, but they have a working
old vertical drag-saw mill he

http://www.mackinacparks.com/histori...iscovery-park/

The first video link at the bottom of the page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag4ZCFn7NJA

Has some video showing it in action. A similar mill to this
would have been working at this location around the 1780's.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b