Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Power saw history

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
I had been told when visiting an old lumber camp tourist attraction that
the circular saw was a mid-nineteenth century invention.

I have been trying to determine what an early Nineteenth Century steam saw
would look like. In doing a google search, I find a lot of references to
circular saws even in Seventeenth and Eighteenth century, including ganged
circular saws in Eighteenth Century.

Anyone know when the circular saw was invented, and did a reciprocating
power saw precede it? I realize the first power saws were water powered
rather than steam, so I guess power saws could go back quite aways.

The Miller saw, which was a patented power circular saw (I don't know if the
power was specified) goes back to the 18th century. Supposedly that was the
first circular saw. I recall seeing woodcuts of it when we were working on
the 100th Anniversary issue of _American Machinist_ in 1977.

Hand reciprocating saws go back to the dawn of history but I don't know if
anyone knows when power was first applied to them. Saws made of bone and
shell have been found in prehistoric digs.

--
Ed Huntress