Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bizarre new fridge noise

It had to start sometime. I'm always ammused with people who
say "it worked fine yesterday". As if they can schedule
equipment breakdowns.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chris Metzler"
wrote in
message
t...

Hi. My kitchen refrigerator (GE Hotpoint) started making an
odd
noise this morning. From a distance, it sounds like a
hissing
sound; but when you get closer, you can hear that it's
actually
a high-frequency clicking or flapping (maybe 20 or 30
clicks/second).
It appears to be coming from the back of the fridge, and it
only
occurs when the compressor is going; when the fridge is
otherwise
quiet, the sound isn't present. There's been no impact yet
on the
fridge's cooling. The fridge does not have an ice-maker.

I'd almost guess that it's simply some piece of paper or
whatever
sticking into a fan; but I don't know why this would start
this
morning. There hasn't been any activity around the fridge
in the
last couple of days that would afford the opportunity of
something
falling back there and getting into a fan. Pulling the
fridge out
of its cubbyhole is a major endeavor; I'd almost have to
call
the appliance repair people for help just to do so.

I'm wondering if people have some plausible diagnoses for
what this
might be other than just some piece of paper sticking into a
fan,
so that I'm a tiny bit more educated if/when appliance
repair people
come and tell me it's going to cost 18 bajillion dollars to
fix.
Given that the refrigeration doesn't seem to be compromised
(yet),
does it seem likely to be an ignorable thing, or is there a
good
chance that someone needs to look at this right away?

Thanks for any info. Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about
refrigerators.