Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Stabbing outlets in the back

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Apropos recent threads here about "back-stabbed" outlets, a data point:

New client, big multi-million-dollar house high up in the Berkeley/Oakland
hills, less than 15 years old, very well built, client has good
relationship with builder.

All outlets are wired through back-wire connections (*not* screw
connections). Client reports no electrical problems.

Maybe this isn't so bad as some people make it sound. It certainly seems
to be the preference of a lot of electricians who want to get the place
wired up fast.

For myself, I will continue to use the screw terminals, as I don't have to
meet any kind of schedule in my work.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

When you use a back stab connection, it's very easy to push the wire in and
miss the spring clamp inside. Someone that does this hundreds of times is
more likely to be able to feel when the wire isn't inserted properly, and
correct it. Inexperienced people should always use the slower, more reliable
method of screw terminals. When I wired new houses, I routinely used back
stabs, and never had a problem. I have however, been on numerous open
circuit service calls, that were caused by back stabs.