Posted to rec.radio.swap,sci.electronics.repair
JB[_5_] JB[_5_] is offline

Default Astron RS-35M POWER SUPPLY

"Mike" wrote in message
I have an Astron RS-35M. I load it down with 1 ohm and it wont come up

when
I flip the power on. I load it with an 8amp load and it comes up but

there
is quite a delay. If I power up the supply before I add the load, there
seems to be no problem.

Is this normal.

Thanks
Mike

Yes. I have no problem with a 20 amp load though. I think it is factory
set to Short protect trip at 40 amps, and crowbar at 15v (big issue for
battery float) but the regulator takes a half second on power-up for the
caps to charge. After the trip, power must be removed for a few minutes to
reset it. One way to deal with this problem is to set current limit to a
lower level. The supply can be easily modded to the VS-35M by adding the
pots. Making these screw adjust behind a vent keeps these from being bumped
and avoids drilling the steel front panel.

Several versions of PDF schematics and discussions of the idiosyncrasies and
mods are available on the Internet.