Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Skill with a Skill

dhall987 wrote:
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:48:36 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

For the sake of discussion, I don't think work ethic has anything to do
with age. I've supervised 20 year olds with strong work ethics and the
utmost responsibility. When given the opportunity to meet their parents,
I would find out why. That's something that is most often taught and led
by a parent or role model.

I think age can hone one's work ethic and experience (school of hard
knocks) makes or breaks it in many people, but every generation has its
slackers and its conscientious, responsible workers.

I certainly agree that there are people of all ages with a strong work
ethic and the same for slackers. However, I think you find that those
who started their work life at a time when you could and did actually
get fired if you did not do good work and you competed to get and keep
a job to feed your family learned a better work ethic. Those who have
worked in an environment where you cannot get fired and nobody forces
high quality work for fear of a lawsuit or at least paying high
unemplyment rates have not felt the need to learn the ethic.

Like it or not, that is one of the benefits of a slump in the economy
and/or higher unemployment rates.
If you're a slacker, why would you worry about getting fired, when you
can just walk across the street and get a job.

When jobs are scarce, the slackers get fired... or butch up and start
pulling their weight.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)